The Employee Benefits Account Manager Assistant acts as support within the Employee Benefits Department. The major duties and responsibilities of the position include assisting the Account Manager in the service to the group client at the time of new business placement or at renewal and as required throughout the year. Specific service responsibilities are to develop an ongoing relationship with clients, oversee their coverage program, fulfilling client requests and assisting Account Managers and Producers as needed in disseminating benefit information to potential and existing group clients. The Employee Benefits Account Manager Assistant will train to serve as liaison between the insurance carriers and group clients to ensure timeliness of claim payments, overall benefit plan implementation under the leadership of the Department Manager and Producer.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Receive phone calls and office visitors with requests for assistance on existing coverage and/or new policies. Obtain and process enrollment forms, change forms or benefit summaries as determined by client need.
- Review existing benefits to determine best coverage alternatives when necessary. Maintain open lines of communication with the Account Manager and Producer regarding alternatives for the group.
- Communicate renewal terms to client and work with the Account Manager to negotiate the renewal terms with carriers when necessary. Maintain open lines of communication with the Account Manager and Producer during this time.
- Obtain group premium, enrollment contracts and group coverage agreements when necessary and submit timely to insurance carrier for processing.
- Maintain own follow-up and suspense file within the Agency Management System on outstanding activity and correspondence. Follow up on all items thoroughly and timely.
- Maintain group account files in an orderly, up-to-date manner.
- Facilitate renewals and new business as directed by Department Manager.
- Maintain group account information in Agency Management System by documenting conversations regarding benefit problems, claim difficulties or carrier options to be evaluated at the time of group renewal.
- Demonstrate knowledge in rating applications and procedures for all types of group policies. Use web sites to obtain information as necessary to assist clients.
- Explain coverage and exclusions to clients as necessary.
- Keep Account Managers and Producers fully informed of important activities or challenges on their accounts.
- Obtain proposals and generate coverage comparisons for renewal business as required.
- Perform all actions relating to the public, customers and companies in a manner that will avoid issues involving potential errors and omissions or loss of business.
- Participate in seminars and other training opportunities for knowledge and skill development, and maintain required licenses for current position.
- Share knowledge that is useful to the department.
- Perform other duties as requested by Department Manager.
- Demonstrate understanding of employee benefit programs and coverage and ability to communicate effectively with potential and existing clients (and their employees) regarding these benefit programs.
- 4 year College degree preferred. Life & Health License required within 6 months of employment and satisfactory employment record.
- Minimum two years’ experience in employee benefits, customer service or similar position with underwriting and/or health insurance background
- Must be a self-starter, able to self-manage workload to ensure group accounts are satisfied with Ross & Yerger and their insurance carrier(s).
- Must be detail oriented, charismatic, professional, and eager to learn and become an Account Manager. Ability to work in a fast-paced, multiple tasking and deadline sensitive environment.
- Proficiency in both verbal and written forms of communication. Basic computer/data entry skills (agency management, word processing, and spreadsheet analysis) preferred and above average mathematical skills also required.
- Maintain and provide excellent customer service to new and existing groups / clients at all times.
Please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.