Keeping up with seasonal repairs and upkeep not only shows pride of ownership, but can reduce the risk of costly and preventable home expenses. Prepare your home for the summer with the following considerations:
- Check all window and door locks to make sure they are secure. Open and close them, and apply lubricant when they are hard to open.
- Inspect your roof and gutters, clean out gutter debris and check shingle integrity.
- Inspect your home’s foundation, sealing cracks and levelling yard depressions with compacted soil.
- Check wooden structures, such as decks and steps, for rotting, loose wood or exposed nails.
- Hire a qualified heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) contractor to tune up your air conditioning unit.
- Examine electrical outlets and cords for potential fire hazards, such as frayed wires.
- Examine your garage door to ensure that it is in proper working order.
- Declutter by reviewing the contents of your garage. Donate or dispose of items you no longer use or need.
Driveways and walkways
- Inspect your pavement for cracks and holes, and remedy them. This can go a long way in preventing accidental slips, trips and falls.